Workstream Sustainable Building and Living, Focus on Plastics
The first workstream on polymer applications in construction has been initiated in 2018. To prepare the collaborative working process, a preliminary study with a thematic screening and strategic recommendations has been conducted by the ISC3 exploring the challenges and opportunities in this field. Based on this pre-study the ISC3 triggered a dialogue process to engage with stakeholders from different sectors and develop recommendations on the sustainable management of plastics in building and living as well as on potential fields for sustainable chemistry innovations. The series of workshops and stakeholder dialogues are taking place in 2019. To continuously monitor and support the dialogue process as well as to ensure high-quality results an expert group is going to be installed. Led by the ISC3, the expert group will incorporate and reflect the different interests and expectations of stakeholders from the private and public sectors as well as from academia and the civil society. The results will be integrated into report and presented at the World Sustainable Built Environment Conference in 2020.
- to transform chemical products in construction and living towards Sustainability;
- to trigger a multi-stakeholder dialogue bringing industry, academia, international organisations and NGOs together raising awareness of the topic;
- to collect the relevant information in the field and
- to publish a report with precise recommendations for politics, industry and consumers;
- to investigate the innovative fields and set the agenda for the near future;
- to give impulses for the research and entrepreneurship (connected to ISC3 Global Start Up Service);
- to show the potentials for the Sustainable Chemistry regarding SDGs and Agenda 2030;
The leading questions
- How to drive construction products towards sustainability in sense of SDGs?
- What are the most relevant innovative areas and potentials for Sustainable Chemistry in the field of Building, Living and Plastics?
- Resilience & Urbanization at AchemAsia, Shanghai, PR China, 21 May 2019
- Resilient Cities 2019, interactive stand at the ICLEI (Local Governments for Sustainability) conference Bonn, Germany, 26 - 28 Junie 2019
- Affordable Housing & Urbanisation at Nairobi Innovation Week, Nairobi, Kenya, 12 June 2019
- Protection of Health and the Environment at SBE 2019, Graz, Austria, 13 September 2019
- Energy & Resources in Building Lifecycle at Green Build 2019, Atlanta, USA, 22 November 2019
The results of the workshops with stakeholders will give input to the corresponding topics in the report to be drafted by an experts’ board and presented at the Sustainable Chemistry Week in Spring 2020.
As a new and independent organization, the ISC3 aims to accelerate the global breakthrough of sustainable chemistry by promoting innovation, assessing processes and products and stimulating the international debate on the future of chemistry.