Workstream Sustainable Building and Living, Focus on Plastics
The first workstream on polymer applications in construction has been initiated in 2018. To prepare the collaborative working process, a preliminary study with a thematic screening and strategic recommendations has been conducted by the ISC3 exploring the challenges and opportunities in this field. Based on this pre-study the ISC3 triggered a dialogue process to engage with stakeholders from different sectors and develop recommendations on the sustainable management of plastics in building and living as well as on potential fields for sustainable chemistry innovations. The series of workshops and stakeholder dialogues are taking place in 2019. To continuously monitor and support the dialogue process as well as to ensure high-quality results an expert group is going to be installed. Led by the ISC3, the expert group will incorporate and reflect the different interests and expectations of stakeholders from the private and public sectors as well as from academia and the civil society. The results will be integrated into report and presented at Sustainable Chemistry Week and World Sustainable Built Environment Conference in 2020.
- to transform chemical products in construction and living towards Sustainability;
- to trigger a multi-stakeholder dialogue bringing industry, academia, international organisations and NGOs together raising awareness of the topic;
- to collect the relevant information in the field and
- to publish a report with precise recommendations for politics, industry and consumers;
- to investigate the innovative fields and set the agenda for the near future;
- to give impulses for the research and entrepreneurship (connected to ISC3 Global Start Up Service);
- to show the potentials for the Sustainable Chemistry regarding SDGs and Agenda 2030;
The leading questions
- How to drive construction products towards sustainability in sense of SDGs?
- What are the most relevant innovative areas and potentials for Sustainable Chemistry in the field of Building, Living and Plastics?
- Resilience & Urbanization at AchemAsia, Shanghai, PR China, May 21st, 2019
- Affordable Housing & Urbanisation at Nairobi Innovation Week, Nairobi, Kenya, June 12th, 2019
- Damage prevention for humans and the environment at SBE2019 (tbc), Graz, Austria, September 12th (tbc), 2019
- Energy and resource requirements in construction and building lifecycle at Green Build 2019 (tbc), Atlanta, USA, November 21st, 2019